Don’t be sorry, I love getting questions! Utopia was published in 1516 in Latin. There is some doubt among historians about how fluent in Latin Anne was. I certainly think that it was not her preferred language - we predominantly have records of her reading in French or English, and she strongly believed that the Bible should be available in languages more accessible to the public, i.e. not in Latin. Utopia was not translated into English until 1551, nearly 20 years after Anne’s death. So basically, yes she could have read it if her Latin was good enough and if she was interested enough to persevere with the whole book. But equally, if she wasn’t interested or her Latin was not strong enough, then she probably didn’t.
From what we have evidence of, the majority of books read by Anne were linked to religion, including the Bible. Nine books that belonged to her survive, and seven of those are religious in nature - for example The Pistellis and Gospelles for the LII Sondayes in the Yere by Jacques Lefèvre d’Etaples. Anne is also said to have owned books such as William Tyndale’s The Obedience of a Christian Man (sources: John Louthe, George Wyatt).
Apart from these ‘knowns’ it is hard to say exactly what else she might have read. Anne’s education was focused primarily on learning courtly skills like dancing, music, sewing etc. It was Katherine of Aragon who had a ‘boys’ education studying classical works like that of Homer and Virgil. Anne may have read books like these, but they were not a main priority during her education and the evidence that we have suggests that her interests as an adult centred predominantly around religious texts.
Yay! Happy Birthday to you too!
YOU CAN TELL A LOT ABOUT SOMEONE BY THE TYPE OF MUSIC THEY LISTEN TO. HIT SHUFFLE ON YOUR IPOD, PHONE, ITUNES, MEDIA PLAYER ETC AND WRITE DOWN THE FIRST 20 SONGS. THEN PASS THIS ON TO 10 PEOPLE. ONE RULE: NO SKIPPING
Thank you to the-scandal-of-christendom for tagging me :) Brace yourselves, I listen to some random stuff…
- I’ll Make a Man Out of You - from Mulan
- Hopelessly Devoted to You - from Grease (West End version)
- Mannat (Reprise) - Shreya Ghoshal and Sonu Nigam
- You - S Club 7
- The Guy That Says Goodbye to You is Out of His Mind - Griffin House
- Reach - S Club 7
- Murshid Khele Holi - Shankar Mahadevan, Javed Ali and Munawar Masoom
- Got to be Certain - Kylie Minogue
- Samson - Regina Spektor
- Chand Sifarish - from Fanaa
- Drama Queen - from Hasee Toh Phasee
- Six Years Later - from The Duchess
- I’m in Here - Sia
- Fantasia on British Sea Songs
- Yellow (Acoustic) - Coldplay
- Anne is Made Marquess - from The Tudors
- Chup Chup Ke - from Bunty aur Babli
- Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol
- Kahaan Hoon Main - Jonita Gandhi
- Do Pal Ruka - from Veer Zaara
Hi! I promise I will start posting my The Tudors thing very soon! This is the last call for any volunteers to provide gifs, if not then I will crack on just using screenshots :)